Tuesday, February 22, 2005

A Sad Day I Hoped Would Never Come

The 2nd District Court of Appeal cleared the way to remove Terri Schiavo's feeding tube today – a day that I prayed would be avoided, but new was inevitable. Even though, that as I write this, Pinellas Circuit judge George Greer has issued an emergency stay that keeps the tube in place until 5 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 23. Why exactly, I’m not sure.

I do know this... I'm ashamed of my state's court system, and how little the Catholic Church here in the St. Petersburg Diocese did to save Terri Schiavo, yet I'm not surprised. I am in disbelief of how insensitive the ones who opposed saving Terri are - and more so of the ones who should, or could have supported her family; and did not. The list of those who didn’t help them does not include Gov. Jeb Bush. Gov. Bush certainly did his best to save Terri and deserves the praise. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for Bishop Lynch. There’s an article By Father Robert J. Johansen that was published in the November 2004 issue of Catholic World Report that tells the Terri Schiavo story - it’s a must read.
The Article

No comments: