Friday, February 11, 2005

Generations of Valor

I met a grandfather a few weeks back who was telling me about his grandson who is fighting in Iraq. As he told me of his courage and commitment the man started crying and I immediately felt something I had never felt before. I can't exactly explain it - my eyes welled up and I started crying as well. We both ended up praying together. He was a WWII veteran, his son was a Vietnam veteran and now his grandson is serving. I couldn't thank him enough for he and his family's service to our country and their commitment to freedom all over the globe. This image reminded me of that day instantly.

God Bless our men and women of our proud Armed Forces.


This moving photograph of a veteran overcome with emotion while embracing a wounded Marine is a cropped version of a photograph that originally appeared in newspapers in November 2004:

The occasion of this photograph was a Veterans Day Commemoration at Dallas City Hall on 11 November 2004. The veteran pictured is Houston James, a survivor of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, and the Marine is Staff Sgt. Mark Graunke Jr., a member of an ordnance-disposal team who lost his left hand, one leg, and an eye while defusing a bomb in Iraq in July 2003.

No comments: